Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which help me with publishing this blog. If you decided to make a purchase, I will then make a small profit, at no extra cost to you.
Again, a pattern that comes from a friend wanting something adorable for her new niece. I love cute little bears, my husband even gave me one when we were dating long distance, there is just something about them-so cute and cuddly. So, this is a pattern that is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I knew that I didn't want to do a basic beanie, I wanted to add some texture to it, so that's why I decided to make most of the beanie have the cross stitch, just using the half-double crochet, instead of the double crochet. The same technique I used in my coffee sleeve pattern. So, here comes the bear and bow pattern!
I love this pattern because the color combinations are endless. You can make the beanie and hot pink and the bow a neon green, or a black beanie and red bow--they are just so many--you'll be making these for a long time!Materials:
Yarn:
Red Heart Super Saver in Grey
Michael's Impeccable Yarn in Lavender or Vanna's Choice Yarn in Seaspray Mist
H hook-I used my Clover Hook (for beanie)
G Hook-I used my Clover Hook (for bow)
Stitches used:
Magic Circle (MC)
Slip stitch
Half-Double Crochet (HDC)
Single Crochet (SC)
Chain (Ch)
Cross Stitch (being used with a HDC)
Foundation single crochet
Beanie (Newborn size)
Gauge:
with H hook and Red Heart Super Saver, 4 stitches = 1"
The chain 1 at the beginning of each round doesn't count as stitch.
Round 1:
-Starting with Magic Circle, 12 HDC, pull circle tight, slip stitch to join.
Round 2:
-Ch. 1. 2 HDC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to join.
Round 3:
-Ch. 1. **2HDC in stitch. 1HDC in next stitch.** Repeat from ** to **. Slip stitch to join.
Round 4:
-Ch. 1. **2HDC in stitch. HDC in next 2 stitches.** Repeat from ** to **. Slip stitch to join.
Rounds 5-7:
-Ch. 1. HDC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to join.
Round 8-12:
-Ch. 1. **Skip next stitch, HDC in next stitch. HDC in previously skipped stitch**. (1 Cross Stitch completed.) Repeat from ** to **. Slip stitch to join.
Round 13:
-Ch. 1. HDC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to join.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.
Bow, with G hook and with different color:
Round 1:
Foundation single crochet x 30, joining with slip stitch in first foundation single crochet, making sure not to twist the chain.
Rounds 2-6:
Bow, with G hook and with different color:
Round 1:
Foundation single crochet x 30, joining with slip stitch in first foundation single crochet, making sure not to twist the chain.
Rounds 2-6:
Chain 1 (does not count as stitch), SC around in each stitch, slip stitch in first stitch. Do not fasten off.
-Take the tail from the foundation chain and slip stitch that to the end of round 6. Pull tail from the foundation chain all the way through and pull it tight.
-Take the yarn still attached to the skein and wrap it around the center until desire width, making sure to pull it tight to scrunch the bow.
-Cut yarn, take your crochet hook and slip it under the wrapped part and pull up a large loop. Yarn over and pull through loop. Insert hook under the wrapped part again, and pull strand all the way through. Weave in end and cut off.
Ears, with H hook and same color as of beanie:
Starting with MC.
Round 1:
-10SC in MC, do not join. Place stitch marker in last SC. (10 stitches)
Round 2:
-2SC in each stitch around. Move stitch marker up to last stitch made. (20 stitches)
-Take the tail from the foundation chain and slip stitch that to the end of round 6. Pull tail from the foundation chain all the way through and pull it tight.
-Take the yarn still attached to the skein and wrap it around the center until desire width, making sure to pull it tight to scrunch the bow.
-Cut yarn, take your crochet hook and slip it under the wrapped part and pull up a large loop. Yarn over and pull through loop. Insert hook under the wrapped part again, and pull strand all the way through. Weave in end and cut off.
Ears, with H hook and same color as of beanie:
Starting with MC.
Round 1:
-10SC in MC, do not join. Place stitch marker in last SC. (10 stitches)
Round 2:
-2SC in each stitch around. Move stitch marker up to last stitch made. (20 stitches)
Round 3:
-SC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to next stitch.
Fasten off leaving a long tail to sew the ears onto the beanie. Weave in end from MC.
Attach ears to top of beanie. Attach bow to beanie in front of the ears (either left or right).
Weave in any ends from attaching the ears or bow.
-SC in each stitch around. Slip stitch to next stitch.
Fasten off leaving a long tail to sew the ears onto the beanie. Weave in end from MC.
Attach ears to top of beanie. Attach bow to beanie in front of the ears (either left or right).
Weave in any ends from attaching the ears or bow.

This little bear hat is so adorable! Thank you very much!! :)
ReplyDeleteLee Ann
Http://crochetgottaloveit.blogspot.com
Thank you for the kind words! :)
DeleteI LOVE this, SO ADORABLE and thank you for sharing! :)
ReplyDeleteNo problem! :)
DeleteToo cute! Thanks for the pattern.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome!
DeleteAhh! This hat is adorable! I will have to share pictures on my blog http://beforetheclockstrikesmidnight.blogspot.com when I finish :) Thanks for the idea
ReplyDeleteYes--please do! I'd love to see!!
DeleteSo adorable. Do you have a pattern for larger sizes? Would love to make this for my 9 month old daughter.
ReplyDeleteAt this time, I do not. It's on my list to-do though!
DeleteYou could add an increase row or try with a larger hook.
ReplyDeletewell, I did try to make this adoreable hat but only got as far as the beanie and I wound up was a curly disk. I am ripping out and trying again.....I want to make this....too darn cute not to.
ReplyDeleteHi Donna! If you haven't already ripped it out, you can try sending me an email (crochetbyceddesigns@gmail.com) with a picture of it, so I can try and help you :)
DeleteNeed your help! Beanie portion of pattern, rounds 8-12:it states: Chain 1. Skip next stitch, HDC in next stitch, HDC in previously skipped stitch (1 cross stitch completed). Repeat from ** to **. Wherein lies the problem. What do u repeat?? Maybe others can understand the pattern but I am a newbie and don't see it. Help! Love yr pattern - it is adorable - u do nice work. Can u help me out? Confused!
ReplyDeleteHi there! I just added the **. Sorry about that! :)
DeleteI made this for my newborn niece and it came out so beautiful. I would love to make a matching one for her 6yr old daughter. Do you by chance have some simple instructions on how to make a bigger hat?
ReplyDeleteAt this time I do not have patterns for larger sizes. Have a great day!
Delete