Sunday, August 31, 2014

bursts of color crochet cowl--FREE Pattern

Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which help me with publishing this blog.
If you decided to make a purchase, I will then make a small profit, at no extra cost to you.

I love fall and everything that comes with it and knowing that Christmas season will be here before we know it doesn't hurt either! So, with fall right around the corner I wanted to make a simple cowl that works up quickly with some great Lion Brand Heartland Tweed yarn in the color Mount Ranier-I picked this yarn up on whim during one of my many trips to the craft store. I have loved how this works up and adore the speaks of color in the yarn. I picked out this one in particular because it is mainly grey, and I love the way grey goes with just about anything.

So, with all that being said, I introduce you to the bursts of color crochet cowl!  As I was editing the
pictures, I was trying to think of a name and notice all the little bursts of colors in it, and so it is written. 

Difficulty:
Materials:
Bunting needle to weave in ends
scissors

Before beginning this pattern, please review the stitches below,
Stitches:
Chain
Slip Stitch
Double crochet (DC)
Shell stitch (5 DC in same stitch)
Foundation single crochet:
This is the best way to start this project. If you were to just chain 102, it would be a lot easier to twist the chain when starting. This method creates a foundation that is easier to work with and less likely to twist when you go to join with the other end. If you aren't familiar with this technique, Tamara over at Moogly has a great tutorial (and how I learned) over on her site.

Sizing:
If you want to increase the size or decrease the size of this cowl, use multiples of 4 + 2. So, for this one it would be 4 x 25 = 100 + 2 + 102 starting foundation single crochet.
Pattern:
Foundation single crochet 102, join in first single crochet, making sure not to twist the chain.

Round 1:
Chain 1 (does not count as stitch), SC in same stitch as join. **Skip next 2 chains, shell stitch in next chain. Skip next 2 chains, SC in next chain**. Repeat from **. Ending with shell stitch and slip stitch in first SC of round. 

Round 2:
Chain 3 (COUNTS as DC) , 4DC in same stitch as join. **Skip next 2 DC, SC in next DC (should be the middle DC of shell). Skip next 2 DC, shell stitch in SC**. Repeat from **. Ending with SC and slip stitch in top of chain 3.

Round 3:
Slip stitch in next 2 stitches. Chain 1 (does not count as stitch). SC in same stitch as last slip stitch. **Skip next 2 DC, shell stitch in SC. Skip next 2 DC, SC in next DC (should be the middle DC of shell)**. Repeat from **. Ending with shell stitch and slip stitch in first SC of round.

Rounds 4- 19:
Repeat rounds 2 & 3

Round 20:
Chain 1 (does not count as stitch). SC in same stitch as join. **Skip next DC, SC in next stitch, 2SC in next stitch, SC in next stitch, skip next DC, SC in next stitch**. Repeat from **. Do one more set of Skip next DC, SC in next stitch, 2SC in next stitch, SC in next stitch. Slip stitch to join. 

Once done, fasten off and weave in ends.

Hope you enjoy!


**Please do not distribute this pattern in way or fashion. You are welcome to sell items made from this pattern. If you would like to share it, please just link back to this post, thank you!**

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Patricia, I used just 1 skein plus just a tad more of a 2nd skein of the Lion Brand Heartland, which are 4oz skeins. I hope this helps! I'd love to see the finished product!

      Delete
  2. I love this pattern and I can't wait to make it! I'll pick up 2 skeins and make matching boot cuffs with the left over yarn. Thank you for the free pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much yardage did you use? I usually go by yards rather than ounces. Thanks. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I used a little over 200 yards. I'd love to see your finished product! :)

      Delete