Friday, June 13, 2014

Crochet Tutorial Series, Part 1: The Magic Circle

I typically make a lot of beanies...it just is something that is quick and easy to do.  However, the one thing I disliked most about making beanies was the annoying little open hole in the top of them after you would make your initial circle.  I wanted to be able to find a way to make that hole disappear...introducing you to the Magic Circle.  Not sure how long ago this has been around, but I am so very thankful that I found it and want it to share it with all of you!

So, grab your favorite yarn and crochet hook and get ready to learn one of my favorite crochet tips.
1-3 Grab your yarn and place it over your index finger, then wrap the tail around your middle finger twice; next take your crochet hook and place under the two strands sitting on your middle finger.
4-6 With your hook, grab the yarn that is sitting on your index finger and pull through then chain 1 to lock in the magic circle.
7-9 Make the amount of stitches that you need (for this I made 8 HDCs), begin to pull on the tail to pull close; and lastly, join with a slip stitch to the first stitch or you can continue working in the round, whichever way your pattern calls for.


Now because I know people learn in many different ways, I stepped way out of my comfort zone with the following item--a Crochet Video Tutorial!

So, here it is, the first of many, I hope, Crochet Video Tutorials!  This video will be showing you how to crochet the Magic Circle technique that is shown above (please excuse the low quality).


my patterns I used this technique with:
scrunched newborn beanie


Items I use this technique with:


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the magic circle tutorial. I saw it at the pinspiration party!
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for linking up at Link & Share Wednesday last week :) and Congratulations! You had one of the most clicked projects! Rhondda
    Link: http://www.oombawkadesigncrochet.com/2014/06/link-and-share-wednesday-party-48.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tute! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. took a couple of tries, but i got it. thanks! :) this is the first tutorial that didn't hurt my brain. lol :)

    ReplyDelete