Thursday, June 12, 2014

pattern review: criss-cross and basketweave coffee cozies and FREE pattern!

Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which help me with publishing this blog.
If you decided to make a purchase, I will then make a small profit, at no extra cost to you.

I've been wanting to challenge myself lately when it comes to crochet...so I did something I have never done before, I tested a pattern for Rebecca over at LittleMonkeysCrochet.  And let me tell you something, her patterns are so easy to read and to understand and make great, I mean great, projects!

I tested the
criss-cross and basket-weave cozies--and they turned out just great.  She uses a H hook for the criss-cross cozy and a G hook for the basket-weave cozy, but to obtain the right gauge I had to go up to a J hook and a I hook (respectfully), yes, I know I have tight tension ;)

Both patterns have great notes and helpful hints before you even begin the cozies.  I love how on the criss-cross pattern, Rebecca even includes precise measurements for the button placements--which, in my opinion, really helps make the loops make a perfect criss-cross under the handle.

Yarn used: Caron Simply Soft in Watermelon
Hook used: Addi Swing hook in size J

The basket-weave cozy was so much fun to make, did I mention how fun it was to make?  I think that one of my my favorite, if not my favorite stitches to work with are the FPDC and BPDC!  It creates such a unique texture and really make any project stand out.  Here's a blanket I did with the help of the FPDC and BPDC.  But, the way Rebecca use the FPDC and BPDC to create a basket-weave texture, was just phenomenal and very easy to do!

Yarn used: Caron Simply Soft in Soft Pink
Hook used: Susan Bates Bamboo Handle in Size I  
Okay, I know you are tired of my rambling and want the dibs on the FREE pattern that was mentioned above--to get your free pattern, head on over to LittleMonkeysCrochet's blog post about these great patterns and where her inspiration came from!  She even has a coupon code for you :)

1 comment: