Thursday, October 15, 2015

crochet burnout

Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which help me with publishing this blog. If you decided to make a purchase, I will then make a small profit, at no extra cost to you.

It's been since November of 2014 since I have published anything, and the reason why is simple...burnout, crochet burnout that is.

The holidays hit me hard with crochet and I said yes way too many times with little time to complete all the projects that I wanted to do for the holidays.  A customer never got left out in the wind, but I, myself, felt a little ruffled.  So, today let's talk about burnout, let's talk about ways to avoid it and ways to get through it.

How to avoid burnout:
-What I learned first and foremost is don't lose the joy in what you are doing.  Unfortunately, for a time period, I lost the joy and happiness crochet brought me, and I am just now rediscovering that now (6+ months later).  What I discovered that helps with this is to have a project going that you pick up at any time that is just for fun.  Whether it's for you or a gift, make it something that you don't feel obligated to do.  Also, make it a project that doesn't have a deadline.  Because, let's all be honest with ourselves here, DEADLINES SUCK!

-Next, you don't always have to say yes.  This is probably the biggest advice I can give!  I am a people pleaser and have always have been, so I never want to let anyone down, but if someone approaches you about a project and after evaluating your current plate load and you realize it's not realistic to make their request, you can politely say "no".  I recently had a friend come to me and ask about booties, and booties or sandals are just not my thing.  So, I politely said no.  And, I also gave her the "why" behind the no.  You can always add just not at this time.  Because sometimes are better than others to complete certain projects.

-Keep a to-do list and keep it up to date.  This helps you keep track of everything that you have going on and makes #2 a lot easier to manage because you know exactly what you have ahead of you.  I recently invested in an Erin Condren Life Planner and I love it, but I can already see that the planner is going to help me mange this to-do list and schedule.  Because, not only do I need to focus on my crochet business, I have a full-time job and I recently gave birth to our baby girl, Avery.  It will help me keep everything on track.  If you are interested in a Life Planner of your own, you can use this link to sign up and you will get $10 off of your first order.

How to get back into it:
-Don't start off too big.  I didn't take any orders for almost 3 months and didn't pick up my hook for the first time until almost 4 months after the holidays calmed down.  And, when I did pick up my hook again, I took it slow.

-Don't over commit.  Really stay on top of your to-do list, this will help you not over commit yourself.  And, remember to you can say no.

-Remember why you started doing this in the first place.  I started it because I loved it and it brought joy to people.   Keep that always in your mind.

I hope those few tips help you out to avoid the burnout--good luck with getting back into it! 

1 comment:

  1. Even though I don't have a 'shop' and don't crochet for money, I've already learned this lesson. (reason #1 I don't offer to test for more than a select few)
    A dear friend saw a picture of my Sophie's Universe (Dedri Uys design) - before it was quite finished. She asked me to make a rug for her with "exactly the same colors, style, everything". Problem is, I didn't want a deadline! I knew that I want the freedom to do what project I want to do - and when!
    I finally had to tell her I was not able to do the rug. She was very disappointed, but I am still enjoying the joy of crochet because I'm not 'obligated' to do it. IF I want to do a rug for her in the near future, I'll let her know. Right now, I have many Christmas gifts to make and can do them at my own speed.

    Good post! Makes a LOT of sense! I always have several projects going at once....and work on what I want WHEN I want....and that keeps me enjoying what I'm doing!
    Hope others take your lesson to heart. Of course, if you depend on it for a living, you have to face some deadlines. But, as you stated, "Don't be afraid to say NO" if you have to! Or at least let prospective customers know you can't do everything in a week. Those who don't knit or crochet have no idea what it entails....and frequently don't understand the COSTS! You cannot do all that work and not get paid for it. (she was expecting to pay, but would have balked at the true cost of the yarn - and your time!

    ReplyDelete