Sunday, November 2, 2014

pattern review: Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket by Moogly

Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links which help me with publishing this blog. If you decided to make a purchase, I will then make a small profit, at no extra cost to you.

I think anyone can attest that as you go through life, there are stages.  My husband and I a few years back attended many, many weddings.  And, now, I feel like it's all about babies within our friends and family members.  So, when my friend and co-worker announce she was pregnant, I went on a limb and started making a baby blanket with gender specific colors for a boy--and when she announce she was having a boy, I was ecstatic.  I was thrilled my little hunch was right, and of course that I didn't have to start over.  And the pattern that I started that blanket with is none other than Moogly's Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket.
This pattern is soo much fun!  And, I didn't like when I had to set this project down--I would always want to keep going.  Tamara from Moogly is so helpful in her post.  She suggests not cutting your yarn, if you are using 2-3 colors, but carry the yarn up the side.  This was the first time I used this technique, and loved it!  I was very happy that I didn't have to cut my yarn every time I wanted to switch a color and then have to worry about the ends.  At first, I was concerned the 'carried' yarn on the side would tighten that side of the blanket, but it didn't at all.  However, I will echo what Tamara says, if you use more the 3 colors, go ahead and cut the yarn when it is time to change colors.  It will be easier that way when using that many colors.  Also, with the border, the carried yarn is covered up just perfectly!  

This pattern gets in your head, meaning, once you have done a few repeats of it, you don't even have to look at the pattern anymore, and it doesn't hurt that Tamara writes her patterns so well.  This was a project that I was able to pick up on and off for about 4 months and do a few rows while catching up on TV shows.  It was a great in between project when I needed a break from other crochet items I have had going on (and probably still going on).  
If you are looking for an easy and fun blanket pattern, I would strongly suggest this one!  The yarn I used was Bernat Softee Baby in the colors pale blue, mint and white with doing 2 colors of each before switching and I used an H hook.  Here is the pattern repeat I did with the colors:
Beginning chain and 2 rows in white
2 rows mint
2 rows pale blue
2 rows white
2 rows pale blue
2 rows mint
then repeat, ending with 2 rows pale blue, 2 rows mint and 2 rows white.
I then did a two round border in the mint using single crochet.  With how neat and clean this whole pattern is, I didn't want to take away from the main part of the blanket and do something fancy with the border, so I stuck with the simple single crochet and it turned out just beautifully.

Tamara also has already given you the chains you need to make the blanket a certain dimension.  Mine is closest to the 36x36, mine isn't right due to my tension being different, but it is close.  So, my starting chain was 130.

All in all, this has been one of my favorite projects and patterns to date!  Make sure to head over to Moogly to show her some love and make one of your own!


1 comment: