Wednesday, February 5, 2014

crochet hooks

Left: Susan Bates
Center: Addi
Right: Susan Bates Bamboo Handle
All in size J
In addition to crochet projects I will feature on this blog, I will also try to give tips and tricks about crocheting and crochet accessories. 

This week, it's all about crochet hooks!

Believe it or not, there are different types of crochet hooks. The two I will be focusing on today are inline and non-inline (tapered). I am sure there are more out there, these are just the two that I have in my own collection and that I am most familiar with.

First off, the difference between the two. Inline has a sharper and more slanted throat (where the yarn rests), while the non-inline has a more rounded and smooth throat. I prefer the inline as I crochet pretty tight and I feel that the inline helps with that. I do have some crochet hooks that are non-inline, just like the Addi Swing Crochet Hook (size J) pictured. I prefer the Addi hooks when I know I am going to be doing marathon crocheting--in other words, not stopping very often. I find that the handle they have on their hooks are much easier to hold for longer periods of time.

You can also tell another difference between these two particular brands is that one has a more pointed tip (Susan Bates) while the other (Addi) had a more rounded tip. When crocheting more loosely (bigger stitches, larger yarn or larger hook) I tend to gravitate towards the more rounded tip and then when crocheting something more tightly (smaller stitches, smaller yarn or smaller hook) I gravitate toward the pointed tip--that way I have a more precise feel when going into the loop I am crocheting a stitch into.

But, what is most important is that you use what ever feels best for your crocheting style and comfort.

What's your favorite style of crochet hook to work with?

No comments:

Post a Comment