Wednesday, February 19, 2014

pattern review: crochet giraffe

A few years ago it was the year of weddings and this last year it's been the year of babies!  So, for one of my friend's daughter I wanted to challenge myself and try and make something different than what I normally do...so I bought this Crochet Giraffe pattern off of Etsy.

I was very hesitant and slightly scared when it came to doing a crochet stuffed animal, but I was up for the challenge.  I decided to use a variegated pink and white yarn for the body part and a white for the accent parts.

Overall, the pattern is extremely easy to use and I was able to learn a little more crochet skills.  I am typically used to working in the round but with joining the rounds together at each end, this pattern calls for working in continuous rounds (where you don't join at the end of each round).  I had to get used to working with stitch markers, and that took some time, but it is easy to get the hang of.  Something else I had to get used to was not holding my yarn so tight.  I have a tight tension when it comes to crochet and with a pattern that calls for a DK weight yarn (weight 3) I kept wanting to hold the yarn extremely tight and became problematic in being able to work with the pattern due to me making it so small.



I then started over with a larger hook and it worked out perfectly for me.

The pattern is very well written and even has pictures throughout to help.  The writer of the pattern was very helpful along the way and was easily reachable via Etsy.  If you are looking for an easy to understand crochet stuffed animal pattern, I would definitely check out KornflakeStew.


You can read more details about my finished crochet giraffe or purchase your own here.


Yarn used:
Bernat Softee Baby in Baby Pink
Bernat Softee Baby in White

Hook used:
Susan Bates in size G

Gauge:
not pertinent to pattern

Other materials:
Safety Eyes
Stuffing

No comments:

Post a Comment